Saturday, May 30, 2009

artstar

I checked out the Artstar Craft Bazaar at Penn's Landing this afternoon, and I just have to say I am so impressed with the work people put out there. It's so difficult to start a business, and through events like these and the wonder that is Etsy, it is actually possible to sustain a craft based business with relatively low start up costs. Most of the artists and crafters in attendance did not have stores but operated out of galleries or boutiques, or solely online. As an aspiring business owner, I was extremely inspired to get myself together! It takes so much hard work but I know that's what I want to be doing; I can't wait for my first paycheck so I can get some supplies and jump in.

Favorites from today:

Badass jewelry. From her Etsy:

"Each handmade piece of jewelry is haunted with past lives from vintage ephemera and semi-precious stones that are earth made and serve as psychic armor. Each handmade piece also includes curious fictions I have created or histories I have researched to add to the mystery, depth and charm of each piece."

I was wandering the stalls, seriously impressed with the talent, but looking for something with a little bit of an edge, when I ran across this booth and fell in love. I'm so into this grungy, beat up, midwestern kind of feel and seriously need some jewelry to match. I've been wearing my feather earring almost every day because I honestly have nothing else. A piece from this collection will definitely be one of my upcoming purchases! 


This company does printing and jewelry out of their Brooklyn studio. I was really into the charm necklaces with little daggers, saws, or shovels. They were doing custom work at the craft show, with special combinations of charms; so bummed I couldn't take advantage of the opportunity!

(links to sold items on Etsy because the shop is temporarily empty)

My one purchase today was a roll on fragrance from Sea Grape. I bought the Devi blend, which is a combination of jojoba oil, essential oils of lavender, orange, ylang ylang, and sage, with dried rose petals. It's sooooo good. I'm a sucker for a great natural fragrance that doesn't smell too earthy or patchouli-like. She had some great peppermint based ones, like the Morningstar Headache relief, that were more about aromatherapy than perfume but seriously smelled amazing. I'm sure her soaps and candles are great as well. 

I was seriously searching for some massive chain necklaces or layered neckpieces but couldn't find anything. Come on Philly, get with it! 
Only kidding, you know I love you.


1 comment:

  1. hey thanks for the review!!! i love your blog and am adding it to my link list!
    xoxo
    jess.

    ReplyDelete