Wednesday, February 18, 2009

This Is England


Director Shane Meadows excels at creating intense, often brutal portrayals of underground life in England. This realism stems from the fact that many characters and situations he creates are based on his own troubled childhood growing up in England's West Midlands. This Is England (2006) follows a young boy as he falls in with a group of punks and skinheads that accept him as a fellow outcast; he adopts their lifestyle and eventually becomes involved with the racist subset of the skinhead crowd. The film is visceral and emotionally engaging; I highly recommend it.



Also, because I can't help myself, I look at it for fashion inspiration. The looks from 1983 are so on point for right now. I need a pair of those ultra bleached out pants.




Or that skirt! The whole look with suspenders and docs might be a bit much but with a feminine twist I would totally bring it back. I'm thinking I need to drag my jean jacket out of retirement as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment