Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Latest Obsessions

After getting my computer back last week, I wasted no time downloading a whole mess of music; due to to almost constant computer problems, I'm still restoring my music library to its former glory of last spring. Many of those recently acquired are old favorites but I've also discovered a fair number of new artists or hidden gems.




Chairlift: how have I missed out on this band till now? Apparently it takes an iPod advertisement to get my attention. Hailing from Williamsburg, Brooklyn, the threesome behind that impossibly catchy song Bruises draw from a wide variety of influences on their album, Does You Inspire You (Kanine Records, September 11 2008). Bruises is without a doubt the most accessible, but other tracks such as Evident Utensil and Planet Health use eighties synth and shoegazey pop melodies to great effect. Overall, the male/female harmonies, electro beats and psych-rock lyrical obscurity mesh well for a pleasant, complete album.






This band is just too fucking cute and beyond perfect. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart are going to kill it. I heard about them just this past Sunday, because my friends were going to see them at Kung Fu Necktie here in Philly. After downloading the album, I deeply regret not seeing them live because it's 35 minutes of pure goodness. Their Myspace describes them as if "Stephen Pastel actually threw Aggi off the bridge and married Black Tambourine's Pam Berry and had four babies that formed a pop band". This succinct explanation of their influences so perfectly describes the result, a dreamy haze that both lingers and powers forward for the duration of the thirty-five minute self titled album (Released on Slumberland). Hushed, layered vocals, driving guitar, and noise pop additions give this timeless album instant appeal and staying power; it's already in the running for one of the year's top albums. I can barely pick highlights because it's all so good, but tops include opener Contender, sing along favorite Come Saturday, and the sweet young yearning of Everything With You.








No comments:

Post a Comment